[Ad] This post is sponsored by the California Prune Board.
The New Year is a popular time to make diet and lifestyle changes. Rather than overhauling your family’s life, I prefer to make small, stepwise, and sustainable changes. Whether you choose to start with reducing added sugars, addressing your child’s constipation or gut health, or your family’s bone health, this prune puree is sure to become a new staple in your fridge.
Benefits of California prunes:
- Eating just one daily serving of about five prunes (40g) helps slow bone loss.
- Prunes are naturally sweet and contain no added sugar.
- One of the best natural constipation remedies with one serving of about five prunes providing 3g of fibre.
- 1 cup pitted California prunes (approximately 20)
- 1 cup water
- Combine prunes and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover with lid, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes until prunes are plump and soft.
- Let cool slightly and transfer prune mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
Add this prune puree to foods to naturally sweeten and increase fibre content, including:
- infant cereal
- baby food purees
- plain yogurt
- soups, stews and dressings
- baked goods (to replace fats like oil or butter)